Recently I read a post from one of my friends. She used Pearl Couscous instead of Sabudana (pearled Tapioca) to make khichdi. I thought it was a great idea. No soaking Sabudana overnight or dealing with how much water to add while soaking it (different batches soak differently). Gave it a try and loved it!!
- Pearl couscous - 1/2 pound - Cook following the directions on the package
- Peanuts - Roasted and coarsely crushed - 2 table spoons
- Potatoes - 1/2 cup - Peeled and cut into small bite size pieces
- Green Chilies - 2 finely chopped (add per taste)
- Cilantro - 1 table spoon - chopped finely
- Curry leaves - 3-4 leaves
- Mustard seeds - 1 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds - 1 tea spoon
- Turmeric - 1/4 tea spoon
- Salt - 1 tea spoon (add per taste)
- Olive oil - 1 table spoon
- Lemon juice - 1 table spoon
To a pan on medium heat, add Olive oil. Let it heat up. Then add mustard seeds and cumin. Wait for them to splutter. Add curry leaves, Green chilies, potatoes. Saute for a few minutes. Add Salt and Turmeric. Saute and close the pan for 4-5 minutes until potato is cooked. Add all the remaining ingredients except lemon juice and cilantro and mix well. Close the lid of the pan for 2-3 minutes more till all the ingredients have heated well.
Squeeze the lemon, sprinkle the cilantro and serve hot. I love to have it with Tea or coffee.