This is one of those recipes which you can assemble (for a lack of better work) in the crock pot in the morning before leaving to work and when you come back home, is ready to be seasoned and served!!
- Toor dal - 2 cups
- Onion - 1 medium sliced thin
- Vegetable - 2-3 cups (I used Lauki. Also called bottle gourd) chopped bite size
- Tomatoes - 2 chopped fine
- Tamarind paste - 1 table spoon (optional. Tomatoes give sourness)
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4th cup finely chopped
- Salt - 1 table spoon (add per taste)
- Chili powder - 1 table spoon (add per taste)
- Sambar powder (curry powder) - 1 table spoon
- Coriander powder - 1 table spoon
- Water - 6 cups
- Mustard seeds - 1 tea spoon
- Curry leaves - 10 to 12
- Olive oil - 1 table spoon
To the slow cooker / crock pot, add all the above ingredients (do not add the 'for seasoning'). Put it on slow for 6-8 hours. After 6-8 hours, heat a small pan on medium heat. Put Olive oil and let it heat. Add Mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add curry leaves. Add this to the Sambar and it is ready to be served! It tastes wonderful with rice, roti, chapati, etc.
Adjust the Chili powder quantity if your Sambar powder has chili powder add to it already.