Ghee rice is a really good accompaniment with a lot of dry and wet curries. At our home, we over eat when there is Ghee rice :) This is a simple quick and easy version.
- Basmati rice - 3 cups
- Sounph (Fennel seeds) - 1 tea spoon
- Clove powder - 1 tea spoon
- Cinnamon powder - 1 tea spoon
- Olive oil - 3 table spoons (can be substituted with unsalted butter or ghee)
- Salt - 1 tea spoon (add per taste)
- Bay leaves - 4
- Cardamom - 2 pods
- Ginger paste - 1 tea spoon
- Garlic paste - 1 tea spoon
- Water - 5 cups
Add all the above ingredients and mix well in a Rice Cooker and switch on the 'White Rice' button. The rice is usually ready in 20-30 minutes depending on how big your rice cooker is.
You can also make this on stove top. Add all the above ingredients to a non-stick dish and cook covered on medium low heat for about 20-25 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Do not add too much salt to the Ghee rice. It is usually eaten as an accompaniment with other curries like Red Chili Chicken and it could get salty if you add more salt.
- Ghee is clarified butter