When I was a child back home, we used to eat Palak Paneer when we went out for dinner. It was a tedious dish to make as Paneer had to be home made. But, now that we get Paneer ready to cook, this is one of the easiest to make and tastes heavenly and is very healthy. This does not require any oil and takes less than 30 minutes to make.
- Palak leaves (Spinach) - 2 pounds
- Onion - 1 medium chopped blender sized (to be used to blend)
- Ginger paste - 1.5 tea spoons
- Garlic paste - 2 tea spoons
- Jeera (Cumin) - 1 table spoon
- Tomato - 2 medium chopped blender size (to be used to blend)
- Cinnamon powder - 1 tea spoon
- Clove powder - 1 tea spoon
- Paneer - 1 pound (cut into bit size squares)
- Salt - 1 tea spoon (add per taste)
- Green chilies - 4-5 (add per taste)
- Turmeric - 1 tea spoon
- Heavy cream - 1 table spoon (optional)
Add Palak, Onion, Ginger paste, Garlic paste, Jeera, Tomato, Cinnamon and Clove powder to a blender and blend till almost fine. Take some aside for non spicy version. Now, add green chilies and blend until the Chilies are not seen in the mixture.
To a pan on medium heat, add this blended mixture and cook covered for about 10 minutes. Open the lid and add the Paneer. Cook for 10 more minutes. Add salt and cream. Palak Paneer is ready to be served. This tastes good with some Chapati, Roti or Nan.
The non-spicy version has to be cooked similarly with the blended mixture without Chilies.