This is one of the easiest and tastiest breakfast dishes. We love having breakfast for dinner at out home and this is one of the favourites. This takes less than 30 minutes to make.
- Poha (Beaten/Flattened rice) - 2 pounds
- Potato - 2 medium skinned and chopped into about 1/2 inch X 1/2 inch pieces
- Green Chilies - 6 slit into half (add per taste)
- Zeera (Cumin) - 1 tea spoon
- Mustard seeds - 1 tea spoon
- Onion - 1 medium chopped fine
- Olive oil - 3 table spoons
- Curry leaves - about 10
- Salt - 1.5 tea spoons (add per taste)
- Turmeric - 1 tea spoon
- Lemon juice - 1 table spoon
- Cilantro - 1 table spoon for garnish
- Water - about 4 cups to soak Poha
To a pot with water, add the Poha. Leave it for about 5 minutes and squeeze it dry (see notes). Keep aside.
To a pan on medium heat, add oil. Let it heat. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add curry leaves and then Jeera. Now, add Onions and saute till translucent. Add Potatoes. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes or until the Potatoes are almost cooked. Now, add Salt and Turmeric. Saute it for 1 minute. Add Poha and Lemon juice. Mix it well. Cook covered until the Poha is heated. This will take about 5 minutes. Take some aside for non spicy version. Now, add the Green chilies, mix well and cook on low flame for about 3-4 minutes. Garnish it with Cilantro. Garam Garam Pohe is ready to eat!!
- Poha - See this link for more information Flattened/Beaten rice
- I used thick Poha. If you are using thin Poha, the soaking time will drastically reduce. You will have to just soak it and squeeze it dry immediately.