Red chicken as my daughter calls it, is one of her favourites. This is based on my mom's recipe - her preparation is of course my favourite. My husband and I love spicy food but my daughter prefers less heat. So, I usually add the spice at a later stage after I keep aside a non-spiced portion for my daughter.
- Boneless chicken thigh cut into bite size pieces – 2 pounds
- Egg – 1 medium
- Paprika – 2 tea spoons
- Chili powder – 2 tea spoons (add per taste)
- Curry leaves – 20 leaves
- Green chilies (Thai chilies) – 5 Number - slit in the middle
- Olive oil – 3 table spoons
For the Marinade:
- Salt – 2 tea spoons (add per taste)
- Turmeric – 1 tea spoon
- Ginger paste – 1 tea spoon
- Garlic paste – 1 tea spoon
- Plain non-fat yogurt – 1 cup
- Clove powder – 1 tea spoon
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tea spoon
Marinate the chicken with the marinade ingredients for at least an hour. Add the egg and paprika to this. Mix it well. Take a few pieces aside if you want to make the non spicy version for your child. Take a broad shallow pan and heat it to medium heat. Add 1 table spoon oil for the first non-spicy batch. Turn the heat to high and saute the chicken for 3 mins. Lower the heat and let the chicken cook for 6-7 minutes (or until completely cooked). Turn the heat to high again and saute it for 2 more minutes. Remove it from the pan and keep aside. The non-spicy version of the red chicken is now ready to eat.
Add the remaining oil and chicken to the pan and repeat the process until the chicken is completely cooked. Remove and keep it aside. To the same pan, add the curry leaves and chilies and saute it for 1-2 mins on medium heat. Add the spicy chicken to this and saute it for 2 mins. The spicy chili chicken is ready to eat.