My husband loves to snack between meals. So, I'm always in search of healthy quick snacks. The idea for this actually came from my husband. One day when I was urging him to eat cereal with milk for snack, he told me that if I can give him a savory cereal, he would happily eat it (he is not a big fan of sweets). Hence the birth of Savory Cereal Snack.
This takes about 5-7 mins to make and tastes wonderful with Tea or Coffee.
- Cereal - 4 cups. I used Uncle Sam's whole wheat berry flakes and flax seed original. Any other unsweetened cereal works good, specially corn flakes.
- Salt - 1/2 tea spoon (add per taste)
- Chili powder - 1/2 tea spoon (add per taste)
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tea spoon
- Cumin - 1/2 tea spoon
- Turmeric - 1/2 tea spoon
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tea spoon
- Curry leaves - 10-15 leaves
- Whole peanuts - 1/2 cup
- Olive oil - 1 table spoon
Take a pan and heat it to medium. Add oil. Once the oil is heated, add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add peanuts and saute for 2 mins. Turn the heat to low. Then add all other ingredients except the cereal. Mix the ingredients well and immediately add the cereal. Mix it well and turn the heat off. Let it cool before you eat to allow the cereal to crisp. Serve it with Tea or Coffee.
Serving suggestion: Use unbleached coffee cones in cups to give a fancy touch.