This is one of the easiest and fast foods to make. Good for those days when you are back from work and want to just eat something simple, tasty and healthy. It uses only 5 ingredients and takes about 15 minutes to cook once you close the cooker. Also, no prep time.
- Moong Dal (Yellow split Mung bean) - 2 cups
- Daliya (Bulgar or cracked wheat) - 3/4th of a cup
- Salt - 2 teaspoons (add per taste)
- Crushed black pepper - 2 teaspoons (add per taste)
- Ghee (Clarified butter) - 2 tea spoons - For health conscious, please replace this with extra virgin Olive oil
Place the pressure cooker on a medium high flame. Add the ghee and let it heat for 1 min. Then, add the crushed black pepper and Moong dal to the heated ghee. Saute for 2 mins. Then add the Daliya and saute for 1 more minute. Add salt to taste and 5 cups of water to this and close the cooker and cook until 3 whistles. Khichdi is ready to eat. I like the khichdi a little runny. Please adjust the water if you do not like it this way.
Serve with Mango pickle and plain yogurt.
Where to find a pressure Cooker: In USA, Bed bath and beyond has a good selection.