One of the things I have discovered about myself as a cook is that I am not a very traditional one. I love to mix in different flavors and make them work together. This is one of such recipes. It is a one pot recipe and take less than 30 minutes total to prep and cook.
- Whole wheat Pasta - 1 pound - I used the Lasagna pasta sheets and broke them into pieces.
- Chorizo - 1 pound - This can be substituted with crumbled Tofu for a Veg version
- Sausage - 1 link - Chopped into bite size pieces. I used the fully cooked chicken sausage.
- Taco seasoning - 1 oz
- Mixed vegetables - 2 cups - I used the frozen with Carrots, Beans and Corn
- Olive oil - 2 table spoons
- Onion - 1/2 cup chopped fine
- Tomato puree - 2 cups
- Salt - 1/4 tea spoon - Add per taste.
- Pepper - 1/2 tea spoon - Add per taste.
- Water - 2-3 cups depending on how thin/thick you need the sauce.
Heat a pan on medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil heats up, add the onions and let it turn translucent. Add the Chorizo (for the Veg version, add the crumbled Tofu). Saute it until cooked (this will take about 3-4 minutes). Add the Sausage, mixed vegetables, Tomato puree and Taco seasoning to this. Mix well and let it simmer for 5 minutes covered. Add the pasta sheets and Salt. Add water and mix in well. Cook covered for about 15-20 minutes until the pasta is cooked. Uncover the pan and cook until you get the desired sauce consistency. Take some aside for the non-spicy version. Now, add the Pepper and mix in well.
Taco Seasoning could have Salt and pepper/chili powder in it already. Adjust the addition of Salt and Pepper as required depending on this.