Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Savory Lemony Quinoa (Indian Style)

Eating healthy....I used to think is a myth :) How can something healthy be tasty??  In 2009, I proved myself wrong...I wanted to change my (rather my family's) food habits and started looking for healthy options.  I found South Beach Diet.  I do not believe in dieting...cause I love food...both eating and cooking.  But, this was an eye opener to many foods which I had never heard of before and also the health aspect of them.  I started experimenting...how to make this more tasty and still keep it simple...Below is the result of one of those experiments....

 


Ingredients:
  • Quinoa - 3 cups (cooked).  See the note below for more information
  • Olive Oil - 1 table spoon
  • Mustard seeds - 1 tea spoon
  • Cumin seeds - 1 tea spoon
  • Curry leaves - 10-12 number
  • Onion - 1/2 cup chopped finely
  • Peanuts - 2 tablespoons (optional)
  • Green Chilies - 3-4 finely chopped (add per taste)
  • Turmeric powder - 1 tea spoon
  • Salt - 2 tea spoons (add per taste)
  • Lemon juice - 1 table spoon (optional)
 Method:
 
To a pan on medium heat, add Olive Oil.  Add the Mustard and Cumin seeds.  Let them splutter.  Add the Curry leaves and then the Onions.  Saute them till translucent.  Add all the other ingredients except Lemon juice and Quinoa.  Stir fry for about 1 minute.  Then add the Quinoa and Lemon Juice.  Mix well.  Savory Lemony Quinoa  is ready to enjoy...guilt free :)
 
Note: 
  • Quinoa can be bought in most grocery stores now.  You get them in black and white variety.  I like the white one.  The black one is a little crunchy and nutty. 
  • I cook Quinoa in the rice cooker just like rice (1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cups water).  You can also follow the cooking instructions at the back.
  • For more information on Quinoa, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

3 comments:

  1. It is true Quinoa can be made tasty . My husband also did not believe . But now he admits.
    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the idea of such savory appetizers or side dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow super tempting lemony quinoa,wish to have for my dinner tonite.

    ReplyDelete