Khichidi is soul food for many. I could eat it from breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is so easy and quick to make and so very delicious to eat. Also guilt free as I am using Quinoa. Slow cooker (crockpot) is my best friend on weekdays. This is one of those recipes which just takes 5 minutes to assemble. Just put it to cook when you leave to work in the morning and you will enter a fragrant home.
- Quinoa - 1 cup
- Toor dal (split yellow lentils) - 1 cup
- Jeera (Cumin) - 1 tea spoon
- Mustard seeds - 1 tea spoon
- Curry leaves - 5-8 number
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper corns - 1 tea spoon crushed (add per taste)
- Olive oil - 1 table spoon
- water - 6 cups (use less if you like thick consistency. I love it a little runny)
Add all the above ingredients to the slow cooker. Put it on low for about 6-8 hours. Hot and fragrant Khichici is ready to be served. You can serve this with some potato chips, pickle or just plain drizzled with some ghee.
Note: If you do not have a slow cooker, you can use a pressure cooker instead. Just add all the ingredients (water=4 cups instead of 6) and pressure cook it until 3 whistles (that is about 10 minutes depending on the size of the pressure cooker).