Khichidi is soul food for many. I could eat it from breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is so easy and quick to make and so very delicious to eat. Also guilt free as I am using Quinoa. Slow cooker (crockpot) is my best friend on weekdays. This is one of those recipes which just takes 5 minutes to assemble. Just put it to cook when you leave to work in the morning and you will enter a fragrant home.
- Quinoa - 1 cup
- Toor dal (split yellow lentils) - 1 cup
- Jeera (Cumin) - 1 tea spoon
- Mustard seeds - 1 tea spoon
- Curry leaves - 5-8 number
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper corns - 1 tea spoon crushed (add per taste)
- Olive oil - 1 table spoon
- water - 6 cups (use less if you like thick consistency. I love it a little runny)
Add all the above ingredients to the slow cooker. Put it on low for about 6-8 hours. Hot and fragrant Khichici is ready to be served. You can serve this with some potato chips, pickle or just plain drizzled with some ghee.
- If you do not have a slow cooker, you can use a pressure cooker instead. Just add all the ingredients (water=4 cups instead of 6) and pressure cook it until 3 whistles (that is about 10 minutes depending on the size of the pressure cooker).
- You might need to adjust time for the slow cooker depending on the kind of cooker and sometimes the type of dal also. Just increase the cooking time by another hour or two if you see that the dal is not completely cooked. Also, cooking for little longer does not harm the taste or quality of the dish. The slow cooker does not burn food.