Monday, June 20, 2011

Fragrant, Quick and Easy Chicken Biryani

A very happy belated father’s day to all!! 
It has been very busy couple of weeks. Learning new things and getting adjusted to my new job, out of town for training, etc.  Right now my life feels so unsettled. My husband is on his sabbatical but, studying for his PhD.  He has been great help with dropping my daughter to her summer camp, taking care of her when I was on a week long training, doing laundry, etc.   My parents-in-law are currently visiting us which has been great help. Specially, my MIL who pretty much cooks every day,  takes care of my daughter when she comes home early, feeds my hubby :) and man….no complaints.  I feel so guilty :(

This is a very simple biryani I make which everyone love.  I start it off in a pan to saute ingredients and finish it off in the rice cooker.

 
Ingredients:
  • Bay leaves – 4-5 leaves
  • Saunph  /Fennel seeds – 1 table spoon
  • Cardamon powder - 1/2 tea spoon
  • Mint leaves – about ¼ cup - chopped coarsely
  • Green chilies – 5-6 (add per taste)- slit into half
  • Black pepper- 1 table spoon -  crushed
  • Onion – 1 medium sized – chopped long and thin
  • Tomatoes – 2 medium sized - chopped fine
  • Yogurt – 1/4th cup
  • Coriander powder – 1 table spoon
  • Cumin powder – 1 tea spoon
  • Ginger paste – 1 table spoon
  • Garlic paste – 1 table spoon
  • Cinnamon powder – 1 tea spoon
  • Clove powder – 1 tea spoon
  • Olive oil – ¼ cup
  • Butter – 1 table spoon – unsalted
  • Salt – 2 table spoons (add per taste)
  • Chicken – 1 pound (I used boneless skinless chicken thighs)
  • Basmati rice – 2 cups
  • Eggs – 2 (optional)
  • Water – 3.5 cups
Method:
To a pan on medium heat, add Olive oil.  Let it heat and then add the Saunph, Bay leaves, Ginger paste, Garlic paste, Cinnamon powder and Clove powder.  Add the Onions and saute until translucent.  Add Tomatoes and saute until they get soft.  Add all other ingredients except Butter, Chicken, Rice, Water and mix well.  Now, add the Chicken and Rice and saute it for about 5 minutes till you can see a little oil separating from the pan.  Now, pour the water and mix well.  Put this mixture in the rice cooker and cook until ready.  Finish it off with the Butter.  I put a few eggs with the biryani while it is cooking.  Fragrant chicken biryani is ready to be served.  It can be served by itself or with some salad or raita.
 

3 comments: