Now that the summer is here, one of my favorite finger foods with Beer or chilled Wine is spiced, shallow fried Smelt fish. It compliments perfectly with that fizzy coolness of beer or wine. Give it a try and I promise this finger lickingly amazing fish will be your favorite too :)
- Smelt (or any other small fish) - 1 pound
- Chili powder - 1 tea spoon (add more if you like it spicy)
- Turmeric powder - 1 tea spoon (optional)
- Ginger paste- 1/2 tea spoon
- Garlic paste - 1/2 tea spoon
- Lemon juice - 1 table spoon
- Salt - 1 tea spoon (add more if needed)
- Olive oil - 8-10 table spoons
Mix all the above ingredients except fish and Olive oil into a fine paste. Then apply it gently to cleaned fish. Keep it aside for about an hour in the fridge.
To a non-stick pan on medium heat, add Olive oil. Add the marinated fish gently and individually. Fry it on each side for about 5-7 minutes or more if you like your fish more crispy. Remove it off the pan and drain the extra oil using a paper towel. Crispy, savory fish is ready to be served. This can be served with a few wedges of raw onions and lemon. Best eaten hot with a mug of cold beer/chilled wine or you can eat it by itself.