Thursday, August 4, 2011

Raw Mango Moong Dal

This is one of the dals I tried recently.  Both my daughter and I love anything that is sour!!  So, when I saw raw Mangoes in frozen section of Indian grocers, I bought it not knowing what exactly I was going to make out of it.  Then, thought of trying this.  We loved it!! It was a little sour for my parents-in-law.  When I was cutting Raw Mangoes to make this dal, I remembered college days when we used to buy raw Totapuri Mango cut and spiced with salt and chili powder outside college and eat it during language class.  My mouth waters even thinking of it.


Ingredients:
  • Moong dal (split yellow gram) - 2 cups
  • Raw Manago - 1 cup cut bite size (I used the frozen. Do adjust this quantity per sourness of the Mango)
  • Onion - 1 medium sliced long
  • Jeera / Cumin seeds - 1 table spoon
  • Garlic pods - 2-3 chopped fine
  • Water - 6 cups
  • Curry Leaves - 10-12
  • Mustard seeds - 1 table spoon
  • Olive oil - 2 table spoons
  • Salt - 2 table spoons (add per taste)
  • Green Chilies - 8-10 split into half (add per taste)
Method:

To a pan on medium heat, add Olive Oil.  Let it heat.  Add Mustard seeds and let them splutter.  Add Cumin seeds and Curry leaves.  Add the dal.  Saute it till slightly golden.  Add the rest of the ingredients and bring it to a boil.  Cover and cook until the dal is cooked thoroughly.  This takes about 20-25 minutes.  Serve it hot with rice, roti, chapati, etc.  Add a few drops of Ghee to dal before serving.  It smells heavenly!!

1 comment:

  1. wow, sounds and looks delicious. Love the taste of raw mango in dal :)

    ReplyDelete