Thursday, July 21, 2016

Around the world in a week with my daughter - Culinary Adventure Staycation (Day 5 - Dinner: Indian)

Day 5: Dinner - Indian (south coastal cuisine)
Restaurant : Home

After 5 days of eating out in different restaurants and different cuisines, my daughter and myself were craving home comfort food. So, we decided to eat at home tonight. What better way to end the journey than going back to your roots :)

Food:
Like most other countries, Indian food also varies vastly over different regions. I hail from south central part of India from a state called Karnataka (most of you will know the capital city Bangalore which is the silicon valley of India). The food I made today is from coastal region of Karnataka that also borders with another state Maharashtra.
I made a simple dal (lentil curry) seasoned with ginger, turmeric, asafoetida, mustard and curry leaves. Today I served it with steamed white rice.
I also made shallow fried spiced potatoes and shallow fried sardines marinated with Indian spices.
Served all of this with some Indian Mango Pickle.

Taste:
My daughter said it was her favorite meal in 5 days. I will take that as a compliment ❤️

Ambiance:
What better than sitting together with family and sharing comfort food :)

I had taken a week off from work to do a culinary staycation with my 10 year old daughter who is a bigger foodie than myself and an adventurous foodie too.
I had the best time with my daughter this week. We learnt about different countries and their culture. Thank you for taking this journey with us and hope you enjoyed 
 — at Del Sur, San Diego, CA.


0 comments:

Post a Comment